Saturday, January 24, 2009

Savior and Salvation - Isaiah 12

“For although Thou wast angry with me, Thine anger is turned away, and Thou dost comfort me. Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; for the LORD GOD is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation.” (1-2)

Isaiah 12 is a hymn written in response to the gospel promise of the Root of Jesse in Chapter 11. “Here is a hymn that the scattered church, being united into one body, shall as one man praise God with.” (Matthew Henry)

How beautifully this hymn portrays the work Christ as the reconciler of God’s elect. God was justly angry with us. In our natural state we were His enemies (Ro 5:10) and we were justly deserving of His wrath and displeasure. Then up sprang the tender Root of Jesse and in atoning mercy, turned God's anger from us. “For while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.” (Ro 5:10) How sweet and precious is that Root!

How great and glorious is the gospel! “For although Thou wast angry with me, Thine anger is turned away…” But that's not all read on: “…AND Thou dost comfort me.”

We, who were by nature enemies of God and under His righteous wrath and displeasure are now, through the reconciling work of Christ, objects of His comfort!! Oh how marvelous! Shall we not then “cast all our anxiety upon Him, because He care for us”? (1 Pe 5:7)

As the redeemed Christ is not only our Savior by Whom we are saved but also our salvation by Whom we are kept safe!! “Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; For the LORD GOD is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation.” (vs 2)

O Great God, you who are Jehovah Jah – the eternal and unchangeable One, help me to know you as my Savior and as my salvation. Help me to run with total abandonment into the strong tower of your salvation with all the cares of this life. Thank you for removing the enmity between us . Thank you for being my Savior and my salvation! AMEN.

In humble gratitude,

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment