Friday, January 23, 2009

Enemies at Peace -Isaiah 11b

“And the wolf will dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard will lie down with the kid,
and the calf and the young lion and the fattling together;
and a little boy will lead them.
Also the cow and the bear will graze;
Their young will lie down together;
and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
And the nursing child will play by the hole of the cobra,
and the weaned child will put his hand on the viper’s den.
They will not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain,
for the earth will be full
of the knowledge of the LORD
as the waters cover the sea.” (6-9)

I recognize that some of this refers to the glorious restoration of the earth at the end of the world as we know it. I can’t imagine what that will be like and long for it intensely. However, this morning I was struck by Matthew Henry's application of this passage to the remarkable change that converting grace makes in a life. He says: “Men of the most fierce and furious dispositions shall have their temper so strangely altered by the grace of Christ that they shall live in love even with the weakest and such as were formerly easy prey.”

The gospel changes people. “If any man is in Christ he is a new creation.” The mind is renewed. Sinful passions are calmed. The nature is changed. “It makes those that trampled on the meek of the earth, not only meek like them but affectionate towards them.” (Henry)

O God, you have saved me by your gospel. Please continue to sanctify me by it. Renew my mind that I may be meek and make me affectionate towards others and may Your kingdom come and Your will be done.


Waiting anxiously,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment