Monday, March 9, 2009

The Word of Our God - Isaiah 40 part 2

"All flesh is like grass, and all its loveliness is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades,when the breath of the LORD blows upon it; surely the people are grass. The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God shall stand forever."
(vs 6-8)


Q. What rule hath God given to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy Him?

A. The Word of God, which is contained in the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, is the only rule to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him.


There was a time when I despised the Word of God. I didn't like what it said about me. I didn't want what it said about God. I sought to tear down its character and authority so that it would have no right to rule over me. I believed that those who trusted in it and lived according to its precepts were fools and I wanted nothing more than to plant seeds of doubt in their hearts and minds regarding its reliability. A little over 20 years ago, I was at war with the Word. In God's merciful kindness I lost that battle and now find myself in love with the Word. "O, how I lovre Your Law (Ps 119:97). "But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night" (Ps 1:2). "I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food" (Job 23:12).

So what made the change in me? With William Cowper I must say"the Spirit breathes upon the Word and brings the truth to sight." The Spirit of God opened my eyes to suddenly see the Word of God for what it is. The Scriptures are not some mere contrivance of man's thoughts, they are the very word of the Living God. Thomas Watson has said that "the two testaments are the two lips by which God has spoken to us."

This morning as I meditate on these verses from Isaiah 40, which so wonderfully proclaim the eternal nature of God's Word - particularly in contrast to the fading and failing nature of the things of this world - my mind races to a dozen other passages that testify to this Book of books beauty and splendor.

  • He gave Moses the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written by the finger of God. (Ex 31:18)

  • And the tablets were God's work, and the writing was God's writing engraved on the tablets. (Ex 32:16)

  • Man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD. (Dt 8:3)

  • Thy words are truth. (2 Sam 7:28)

  • The word of the LORD is tested. (2 Sam 22:31)

  • Thou didst give to them just ordinances and true laws, good statutes and commandments. (Ne 9:13)

  • ...Thine ordinances, by which if a man observes them he shall live. (Ne 9:29)

  • The words of the LORD are pure words; as silver tried in a furnace on the earth, refined seven time. (Ps 12:6)

  • The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure making wise the simple, the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. (Ps 19:7-8)

  • Thou hast ordained Thy precepts, that we should keep them diligently.... How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Thy word.... Thy word I have treasured in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee.... Thy testimonies are my delight, they have become my counselors..... All Thy commandments are faithful.... Forever, O Lord, Thy word is settled in heaven.... Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light to my path.... Establish my footsteps in Thy word.....Thy word is very pure.... and Thy law is truth.... Thy testimonies are righteous forever.... and all Thy commadments are truth.... The sum of Thy word is truth, and every one of Thy righteous ordinances is everlasting. (Ps 119 select verses)

  • Every word of God is tested. (Pr 30:5)

  • Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. (Mt 4:4)

  • Do not think that I cam to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished. Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and so teaches others shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Mt 5:17-19)

  • Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words shall not pass away. (Mt 24:35, Mk 13:31, Lk 21:33)

  • Thy word is truth. (Jn 17:17)

  • So, then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good. (Rom 7:12)

  • All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. (2 Ti 3:16-17)

  • For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (Heb 4:12)

  • But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man shall be blessed in what he does. (Jm 1:25)

  • ...the living and abiding word of God. (1 Pe 1:23)

  • But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God. (2 Pe 1:20-21)

What a great treasure God has given us in His word. It contains all that is necessary for life and godliness (2 Pe 1:3). May it be our treasure and may our lives be found in accord with its teachings.

Meditating day and night,
Lori



No comments:

Post a Comment