Thursday, March 12, 2009

Learning From Idolators - Isaiah 40 part 5

"To whom then will you liken God?
Or what likeness will you compare with Him?
As for the idol, a craftsman casts it,
a goldsmith plates it with gold,
and a silversmith fashions chains of silver.
He who is too impoverished for such an offering
selects a tree that does not rot;
he seeks out for himself a skillful craftsman
to prepare and idol that will not totter."
(vs 18-20)

All right, it happened again. I'm reading along in this passage and my thoughts are - "How foolish idolators are." Then, out of the blue I receive a right hook to the face and am currently reeling from the blow of "How foolish Lori is." These verses are not about them, they are about me!

Here's how the punch felled me. I'm working through verses 18-19 - "To whom then will you liken God? Or what likeness will you compare with Him? As for the idol, a craftsman casts it, a goldmith plates it with gold, and a silversmith fashions chains of silver." Foolish, foolish idolators. Get real folks - it's a creation. You made it with your own hands. What help can you get from a god that you've made? Not only is it a creation but it's a fake. Look again at verse 19.It's not even real gold it's only gold plated "a goldsmith plates it with gold." It's covered lead. Idols are never what they seem to be.

Common sense thus far. What does this have to do with me? BOOM! Ouch - wait a minute - what just hit me?! Look at how much work and effort and time and money these idolators put into their vain idols. They spare no expense. Even "he who is too impoverished for such an offering selects a tree that does not rot; he seeks out for himself a skillful craftsman to prepare an idol that will not totter' (vs 20).

I am honestly knocked out this morning by these idolator's acts and by Matthew Henry's application of this passage to me. He says: "How these idolators shame us, who worship the only living and true God. They spared no cost upon their idols yet we grudge that as a waste which is spent in the service of our God!"

Lord, forgive me for my slothfulness and "ho hum" attitude where Your service in concerned. Grant me to be a cheerful giver of all my resources and a cheerful doer of all my duties. Make me to love you, Creator God, with a whole heart.

Learning,

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment