Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Good and Gentle Shepherd - Isaiah 40 part 3

"Like a shepherd He will tend His flock,
In His arms He will gather the lambs,
and carry them in His bosom;
He will gently lead the nursing ewes."
(vs 11)

The picture of God as our shepherd is sketched out for us many times on the pages of the Old Testament. The LORD is my shepherd I shall not want (Ps 23:1). Hear us O Shepherd of Israel, you who lead Joseph like a flock (Ps 80:1). As a shepherd cares for his herd...so will I look after My sheep. I will feed My flock and I will lead them to rest ...I will seek the lost, bring back the scattered, bind up the broken, and strengthen the sick (Ez 34:12, 15-16).

Throughout the New Testament we see Christ portrayed by the same terms. I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. I am the good shepherd; and I know my own and my own know me (Jn 10:11, 14). Now the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus our Lord, equip you in every good thing to do His will.... (He 13:20). For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls (1 Pe 2:25). And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory (1 Pe 5:4). For the Lamb in the center of the throne shall be their Shepherd, and shall guide them to spring of the water of life...(Rev 7:17).

Christ is the Good Shepherd. What does that look like? Well, here in Isaiah 40 four things are brought out that our Divine Shepherd will do. He will tend. He will gather. He will carry. He will lead.

Matthew Henry's words on this are sufficient for the day. He says:

"Christ is the Good Shepherd. He shall feed His flock like a shepherd. His word is food for His flock to feed on; His ordinances are fields for them to feed in; His ministers are under-shepherds.

He takes care of the lambs that are weak, and cannot help themselves and those that are with young. The good shepherd has a tender care for children, for young converts, for weak believers, and those that are of a sorrowful spirit. These are the lambs of His flock.

He will gather them in when they wander, gather them up when they fall, gather them together when they are dispersed, and gather them home to himself at last; and all this with His own arm, out of which none shall be able to pluck them (Jn 10:28). He will gently lead them."

Savior, like a shepherd, lead me this day and forever!

A needy sheep,

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment