Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cyrus the Great/ Jesus the Greater - Isaiah 45 part 4

"Thus says the LORD,
the Holy One of Israel and his Maker:
'Ask Me about the things to come concerning My sons,
and you shall commit to Me the work of My hands.
It is I who made the earth, and created man upon it.
I stretched out the heavens with My hands,
and I ordained all their host.
I have aroused him in righteousness,
and I will make all his ways smooth;
he will build My city and will let My exiles go free.
without any payment or reward,'
says the LORD of hosts."
(vs 11-13)

Yesterday morning, I spent some time dwelling on the idea that God invites His people to inquire of Him - when they inquire rightly. "Ask me about the things to come concerning My sons...." Just peruse the Psalms, they are full of the example of David wrestling with God in prayer. Questioning is fine as long as it is accompanied by committing. "...And you shall commit to Me the work of My hands." That's verse 11.

Verse 12 begins with God's people being not only invited but encouraged to look unto the omnipotent God, the Maker of heaven and earth, when they find themselves in dire straits! When we are weak, He is strong. As we "ask" Him about the things concerning us, as we "commit" to Him the things facing us, we can find comfort that our life is in the hands of the LORD who made the heaven and earth! This is no Barney Fife like deputy in whose hands our life is left - this is Jehovah God! "It is I who made the earth, and created man upon it. I stretched out the heavens with My hands and I ordained all their host." Don't I think that He who did all that can take care of little ol' me?

These 2 verses speak of questioning and committing to the God who is more than able to meet all of our needs. What wonderful words. However, I think it is verse 13 that rings in my soul the most this morning.

Remember the context of Isaiah 45. God is speaking of Cyrus the Great, whom He will use to subdue Babylon, release His people from captivity, and rebuild the temple. In verse 13 we have another reference to Cyrus and in this reference we see Cyrus as a type and figure of Christ. God says: "I have aroused him (Cyrus) in righteousness, and I will make all his ways smooth; He will build My city, and will let My exiles go free, without any payment or reward,' says the LORD of hosts."

Two things are prophesied regarding Cyrus. 1) He will rebuild God's city- "He will build My city." 2) He will release God's people - "and will let My exiles go free."

Is this not exactly what Christ does for us? He is building God's Kingdom and setting prisoners free! Matthew Henry says: "Christ is annointed to do that for poor captive souls which Cyrus was to do for the poor captive Jews, to proclaim the opening of the prison to those that were bound in a worse bondage than that in Babylon."

Christ the Messiah came hearing "the groaning of the prisoner; to set free those who were doomed to death" (Ps 102:20). In Him, on Him, and through Him the church of God is being built "and the gates of Hell shall not destroy it" (Mt 16:18).

King Cyrus was great. King Jesus is greater. It is He who has set me free from sin's prison. It is He who is building His church triumphant and eternal.

Thankful to be a part of His kingdom,

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment