Monday, March 30, 2009

Questioning My Maker - Isaiah 45 part 3

"Thus says the LORD,
the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker:
'Ask Me about the things to come concerning My sons,
and you shall commit to Me the work of My hands.
(vs 11)

For many years I questioned God. I questioned His existance and I questioned His authority. I argued against Him and I argued at Him. As an unbeliever I regularly attempted to "put God in the dock". I acted as though God were on trial and I was the prosecuting attorney. That method of questioning my Maker was foolish, it was wrong, and it didn't work.

Here in verse 11, God encourages His people to question Him. They are invited to "enquire concerning their troubles." As I read Henry this morning, I thought he eloquently defined the difference between my former type of questioning and the questioning that God welcomes in this passage. He writes: "We may not strive with our Maker by passionate complaints, but we may wrestle with Him by faithful and fervant prayer."

God can handle my questions. It is clear from this text that He even welcomes them. I suppose the ultimate difference is found in my motive for asking. Am I attempting to put God on trial, and question and challenge Him as though He were foolish, unwise, immoral, and unkind to have brought about my current circumstances? Or, am I honestly struggling to understand His ways? In the midst of my questions am I fighting against His right as my Maker to do as He sees fit or am I committing to Him the work of His hands?

"Thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker: 'Ask Me about the things to come concerning My sons, and you shall commit to Me the work of My hands."

Questioning and Committing,

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment