Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Source of Our Adequacy - 2 Corinthians 3

"Not that we are adequate in ourselves
to consider anything as coming from ourselves,
but our adequacy is from God."
(2 Corinthians 3:5)

As I read these words from Paul's pen I was reminded at just how often one of the members of the "god-head" of our man-made sinful trinity rise up in idolatrous fashion . 1st John records that as fallen men we are often given over to "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the lust of the eyes, and the boastful pride of life." Matthew Henry says, "here is the trinity that the wicked worship." How true.

Looking at verse 5 I recognized that far too often one, if not all, of the characters of this "trinity" weasel their way onto the throne of my life and rule me. Here, in the scenario before us, it is "the boastful pride of life" that has stealthily slipped in and he has crept in under the guise of self-confidence - self-confidence as opposed to God-confidence.

How often do I find adequacy in my own feigned self-sufficiency?! How often am I pridefully confident in MY abilities as though they were something that came from me?!?! Far too often. Far, far too often I must confess!

This verse reminds us that we are who we are because of God. If we have anything good in us it is of His grace and mercy - completely!! We are not adequate in ourselves - we are adequate in our God!

My friends, may we tear down the false idol of prideful self-confidence and may we bow the knee to the God from whom all blessings flow.

Adequate in Christ and in Christ alone,

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment