Monday, March 22, 2010

Commending Ourselves in Everything - 2 Corinthians 6

"Giving no cause for offense in anything,
in order that the ministry be not discredited,
but in everything commending ourselves
as servants of God,
in much endurance, in afflictions,
in hardships, in distresses,
in beatings, in imprisonments,
in tumults, in labors,
in sleeplessness, in hunger...."
(2 Corinthians 6:3-5)

I tend to like to have it easy. In the "easy" it seems to be somewhat easier to not cause offense and not tarnish the name of Christ. When all is hunky-dory I can smile and glorify my God. When the bottom falls out - well....

Here in 2 Corinthians 6 we see that we are not to be "offensive ambassadors" in "anything." But instead we are to commend ourselves as servants of the most high God in "everything." Read it again, in "everything"! Everything we do is important for the kingdom of Christ - EVERYTHING.

As a wife and mom I have learned that the way I treat the folks in the grocery store, at the bank, in the library, and at the park really matters - it's part of "everything". My actions (and reactions) in those places are a reflection of my Father and as His child I really do long to bring Him honor and not dishonor.

So, when things are going really well I seek to honor Him and do so with some semblance of ease. But what about the days when the kids are disobedient, when I have a headache, when I didn't get a good night's sleep, when the clerk is a jerk, etc.? Hear Paul as he spanks us regarding "everything":

"In EVERYTHING commending ourselves as servants of God, in much endurance, in afflictions, in hardships, in distresses, in beatings, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in hunger."

Thanks, Paul! You just blew all of my excuses!!

Matthew Henry says: "Those who would approve themselves to God must approve themselves faithful in trouble as well as in peace. Not only doing the work of God diligently, but also bearing the will of God patiently." Ouch! Why do I read Henry?!

Hand over mouth! God, grant me the grace to give no cause for offense on my good days and on my bad days and help me to commend myself to you in everything that you might be glorified in everything.

In His glorious grace,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment