Sunday, March 28, 2010

God Bows Down, Are We Praying Up? - Psalm 116 (part 1)

"I love the Lord,
because He hears my voice and my supplications.
Because He has bowed down His ear to me,
therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live.
(vs 1-3)

"I love the Lord...." It is true that I do and the 116th Psalm is full of the reasons why I should love Him. It is full of reasons for this psalm's particular writer and it is full of reasons for this particular psalm reader.

The heading in my Bible refers to this chapter of God's Word as "A Psalm of thanksgiving for delieverance from death." As I have spent some time drinking it in I think I would have to personally title it "A Psalm of thanksgiving for all that God has done for Lori Sealy." This one has hit home. Sadly, I know that I will not be able to do justice to that which has moved me to tears of amazement and to a heart filled with thanksgiving and praise. I do love the Lord and this Psalm clearly expresses many of the reasons why I do!

David begins with a simple statement: "I love the Lord." His first "because" is related to God's condescending act of hearing and answering our prayers.

Have you ever thought of just what a phenomenal picture of humility prayer is? Perhaps you've thought about it from YOUR perspective - I know I have. For me, to pray is an act of admitting that I have a need that is beyond myself. I don't always like to admit that - OK, I seldom like to admit that - which is one of the reasons prayer is hard. It is hard because I am proud and far too pretendedly self-sufficient.

However the greatest act of humility is not that I humble my proud self to make a request to the King of the universe but that this King of kings actually pauses to listen to that request!!

The passage says that "He hears my voice and my supplications." Millions upon millions of people are calling out his name and yet He hears me as if I were the only one! And He answers me as only a loving Father can and will! Wow!! That is one good reason to love Him!

Verse two describes this listening act as God bowing down His ear to us. Does that not blow you away? The Holy God - the infinite and majestic LORD of Lords - the only One worthy of praise - the Creator of everything - the Righteous Judge of all the earth "has bowed down His ear to me."

Pause to let that truth digest. "He has bowed down His ear to me."

OK - here's your "if/then" question for the day. IF God is willing to stoop down to hear us THEN why are we not more prone to lift up our prayers to Him?! Why do we not much more often come boldly before the throne of grace?

Verse two puts the "if/then" prayer encouragement into a "therefore" form. "Because He has bowed down His ear to me, THEREFORE I shall call upon Him as long as I live."

Friends, He is listening are we praying?!

Loving Him because He listens,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment