+"O LORD, you are my God." Here is covenant comfort. Yes, God is GOD. But, because of His electing grace granted to me in Christ Jesus, He is not only God but He is MY God! "I will be your God and you will be my people." He is mine and I am His! I am in a relationship with Him because He has entered into a relationship with me. He is my God and in His sovereign mercy He set the wheels in motion from eternity past to adopt me as His own. It is all of Him, none of me, and I am humbled beyond words! May Paul speak for me:
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon us. In all wisdom and insight He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention.... In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will." (Eph 1:3-11)
"Oh, the depth of the riches both of the widsom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For who has known the mind of the LORD, or who became His counselor. Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to Him again? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen. (Ro 11:33-36)
I was by nature a child of wrath (Ep 2:3) justly deserving of His dipleasure. I was a dead child (Eph 2:1) and God went to the orphange of the dead and plucked me out, gave me new life, and called me His beloved! "Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul my life, my all!"
He has worked wonders. He is a God of omnipotent power. Think of this:
- He has made the world and all that it contains out of nothing but the word of His mouth.
- He sent the flood and destroyed all the wicked of this world while saving and securing Noah and His seed inside an ark.
- He opened the barren wombs of Sarah, Rachel, Hannah and Elizabeth.
- He sent the plagues to Egypt and yet His own people were set apart and spared.
- He parted the Red Sea that Israel might escape Egypt on DRY ground and closed it back up that their enemies might be stopped in their sin.
- He sent manna and meat from heaven to feed His children in the wilderness.
- He slaked their thirst with water from the rock.
- He felled the walls of Jericho with only a march and a shout.
- He provided a kinsman redeemer for Ruth.
- He made a boy to defeat a giant with a stone and a sling shot.
- He conquered the prophets of Baal on Mt. Carmal by burning up a water soaked offering.
- He gave the widow a vessel of overflowing oil in the midst of a famine.
- He humbled Nebuchadnezzar with madness and then restored him at the proper time.
- He became the Word made flesh and was born of a virgin.
- He turned water into wine.
- He cast out demons.
- He fed 5,000 with 5 loaves and 2 fish - and there were leftovers!
- He gave sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, cleansing to the leper, leaping to the lame.
- He conquered death and hell when He rose from the grave.
- He has pulled many a camel through the eye of a needle (Lk 18).
- He has saved me!
He has worked wonders. He still works wonders. He is my God and I will exalt Him and give thanks to His name!
A.W. Pink, the great Baptist pastor says of God's sovereignty:
“The sovereignty of God may be defined as the exercise of His supremacy. Being infinitely elevated above the highest creature, He is the Most High, Lord of heaven & earth. Subject to no one, influenced by none, absolutely independent; God does as He pleases, only as He pleases, always as He pleases. None can thwart Him, none can hinder Him.”
God is faithful to His cherished children in whatever His omniscient wisdom is pleased to bring their way. He knows best what we need most. "Whate'er my God ordains is right." The path I am on was carved out by a sovereign and faithful design.
He is my God, He works wonders, He forms faithful plans. He is God and I will exalt and give thanks to His name!