Monday, February 9, 2009

A Fat Feast - Isaiah 25 Part 2

"And the LORD of hosts will prepare a lavish banquet
for all peoples on this mountain;
A banquet of aged wine, fat pieces with marrow,
and refined aged wine. And on this mountain
He will swallow up the covering which is over all peoples,
even the veil which is stretched over all nations.
He will swallow up death for all time,
and the Lord God will wipe tears away from all faces,
and He will remove the reproach of His people
from all the earth;
for the LORD has spoken." (vs 6-8)

Gospel truths are a feast! Because of the covenant of grace, which God planned for me long ago, I am a guest of the King of kings at His banquet table! The Lord Jesus Christ, who is the master of this feast, has "prepared a table for me in the presence of my enemies" (Ps 23).

It is a great feast. The wine is aged, rich and full. The meat is fat and filling. Matthew Henry says: "It is a feast of fat things, full of marrow. So nourishing are the comforts of the gospel to all those who feast upon them."

I have to say that I am seeing that more and more. I am so well fed as I sit under Phillip's preaching of the Word each Lord's Day. I am so satisfied every time I take up and read this beautiful Book of books. I sup with the Savior every time I boldly go before the throne of grace in prayer. I feast fatly on my God each month at the Supper He has instituted. My cup overflows as I fellowship sweetly with the saints around the things pertaining to Him. Through gospel grace I am well fed!

Not only is this a feast, but it is an unending feast. Christ has "swallowed up death for all time." Death cannot spoil this feast, it will only make it sweeter!

"Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of the sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. " (1 Cor 15:54-55)
The gospel feast is a fat feast; it is an unending feast; and it is a joyful feast! "And the Lord God will wipe tears away from all faces and He will remove the reproach of His people from all the earth."

In this life I find such joyous comfort in the manna from heaven. I am not saying that all is happy go lucky, not at all. In this fallen world there is much sorrow. However, in the midst of the sadness of the world there is an unshakable joy because of the presence of God and the sure knowledge of His planned providence in my steps. I feast joyfully in this life knowing that He is currently "storing my tears in His bottle" and that the day is coming when He will finally and fully wipe them away! Again I quote Henry:

"In the covenant of grace there shall be that provided which is sufficient to counterbalance all the sorrows of the present time."

Oh, how blessed we are to have been invited to the feast. It is a feast freely offered to "all peoples." It is a fat feast - come and be filled. It is an unending feast - come find eternal rest at this table. It is a joyful feast - come receive rest for your weary souls. It is a certain feast for "the Lord has spoken."
"Come, for the feast is spread,
hark to the call;
come to the Living Bread,
offered to all.
Come to His house of wine,
low on His breast recline,
all that He has is thine;
Come, sinner, come."
(Henry Burton, 1878)

Sitting in satisfaction,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment