Monday, May 17, 2010

In His Hands - Ecclesiastes 9:1

"For I have taken all of this to my heart
and explain it that righteous men,
wise men, and their deeds
are in the hand of God."
(Ecclesiastes 9:1)

My husband was in the insurance business for several years before heading off to seminary. He was an auto claims adjuster for State Farm. A rival insurance company had a motto - they still do - in which they referred to themselves as "the good hands people." Solomon, in this passage of Ecclesiastes, points us to the ultimate "good hands" insurance - the hands of God.

Christian - you are in good hands. No matter what befalls you there is One who holds you. No matter what seeks to shake you there is One who has a firm grip on you.

NO. MATTER. WHAT. His hands are there and His strong hands are attached to His everlasting arms. "The eternal God is a dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms."

God has a peculiar care and a precious concern for His children. Our Father has us in His hands and there is no safer place to be.

Our Father's hand is an omnipresent hand - it is always with us. It is a righteous and a holy hand - it will never do us harm nor evil. It is a good hand - in all things it is seeking our best. It is a tender and compassionate hand - always caring and comforting us, drying tears from our eyes, binding up our wounds, holding us close. It is an omnipotent hand - driving away the enemies that would seek to destroy us.

The "good hands" of All-State have nothing on the great hands of the Almighty!

Matthew Henry cross referenced several additional verses which speak of our being in God's hands. They are precious promises regarding the hands that hold us.

"Indeed He loves His people; and His holy ones are in His hand." (Deuteronomy 33:3)

"But as for me, I trust in Thee, O Lord, I say, 'Thou art my God.' My times are in Thy hand." (Psalm 33:14-15)

"My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand." (John 10:29)

Back in 1824, William Lloyd put it like this:

My times are in Thy hand; my God, I wish them there; my life, my friends, my soul, I leave entirely to Thy care.

My times are in Thy hand; whatever they may be; pleasing or painful, dark or bright, as best may seem to Thee.

My times are in Thy hand; why should I doubt or fear? My Father's hand will never cause His child a needless tear.

My times are in Thy hand, Jesus the Crucified; those hands my cruel sins had pierced are now my guard and guide."

Oh, we are loved and kept by the powerful hand of our Father. Our times ARE in His hand.

Dear friends, I know not what this day or the days to come may hold for you but I do know that the hand of God is orchestrating our days holding us in them, and guiding us through them.

With that fact in mind I find myself crying out with Jeremiah the prophet, who also spoke of being in God's hands. He wrote:

"But as for me, behold, I am in Your hands; do with me as is good and right in your sight." (Jeremiah 26:14)

There's no better place to be nor any better prayer to pray.

Held securely in the hands of God,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment