Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sustaining With a Word - Isaiah 50

"The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of disciples,
that I may know how to sustain the weary one with a word.
He awakens me morning by morning.
He awakens my ear to listen as a disciple."
(vs 4)

Verse 4 gives us an awesome picture of one of the things every disciple of Christ should strive to be about - "sustaining the weary one with a word."

God has given us tongues that we might use them. Those tongues should speak words that build up, not tear down. Our words should be seasoned with salt (a preservative in a rotting world) and full of light (giving guidance in a dark land).


We are to "let [our] speech always be with grace, seasoned, as it were, with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person."(Col 4:6). We are to "let no unwholesome word proceed from [our] mouths, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear." (Eph 4:29). Our tongues, used properly, should be life-giving tools! How is my tongue?

But notice the last part of this verse. If my tongue is to speak strengthening words to the weary then my ears need to be listening to the God from whom all strength flows. "He awakens my ear to listen as a disciple."

If I am going to speak as a disciple, I better be listening as a disciple or else I will be tongue tied and my words will weaken the weary even more.

Lord, help me to make the most of listening to you each morning that I might glorify you and build up my fellow man throughout the day!

In His glorious grace,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment