Looking for a good pedicure? Here it is - let your feet bring the good news of the gospel to a lost and dying world! "How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news."
The gospel is a blessing to all who will hear and recieve it. It "announces peace." It brings to us the terms upon which peace with God can be accessed. By nature we are "children of wrath" and "enemies of God." But the good news of the gospel changes all of that. It makes us children of God and heirs of heaven!
- "But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one, and broke down the dividing wall, by abolishing in His flesh the enmity...thus establishing peace, and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity." (Eph 2:13-16)
- "He who was delivered up because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification. Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. (Rom 4:25-5:1)
- "For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Christ, and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, i say, whether things on earth or things in heaven. And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds, yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach." (Col 1:19-22)
"And opening His mouth He began to teach them saying,
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
- Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
- Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
- Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
- Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are you when men cast insults at you, and persecute you, and say all kind of evil against you falsely, on account of Me. Rejoice, and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."
The happiness that the gospel brings is totally contrary to the counterfeit happiness of the world. It is a blessing and a joy despite our outward condition. It is true contentment in any storm. It is, as Jeremiah Burroughs puts it "that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God's wise and fatherly disposal in every condition." Only the gospel can bring about that type of peace and happiness.
The gospel "announces salvation." It is through this proclamation that salvation can be ascented to in the mind and owned in the heart. To be believed it must be held forth.
- "Whoever calls on the name of the LORD will be saved. How then shall they call upon Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him whome they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring glad tidings of good things!" (Rom 10:13-15)
The gospel "says to Zion, Your God reigns!" It declares the Lordship of Christ to the world which He owns and governs. It declares His sovereign power to free those who are bound in their hellish chains if they will bow the knee to Him. And it declares His sovereign right to judiciously condemn all those who treacherously cling to their sin and rebellion against His rightful authority.
Matthew Henry says that the gospel "is a proclamation of peace and salvation; it is gospel indeed, good news of victory over our spiritual enemies and liberty from our spiritual bondage. The good news is that Jesus reigns. Christ Himself, brought these tidings first (Luke 4:18, Heb 2:3) and of Him the text speaks. How beautiful are His feet, His feet that hung upon Mount Calvary!"
My Great Savior, thank you for having your feet pierced for me. Thank you for pursuing me with the gospel. Thank you for sending ambassadors into my life with beautiful feet. Make mine lovely as I seek to hold forth this glorious peace giving, happiness granting, salvation offering good news of You - King Jesus!
In His glorious grace,