Wednesday, April 7, 2010

How Can I Be Pure? - Psalm 119 (part 2)

"How can a young man keep his way pure?
By keeping it according to Thy Word.
With all my heart I have sought Thee;
do not let me wander from Thy commandments."
(Psalm 119:9-10)

Familiar words. Poetic words. Important words.

How can I be pure? How can my children be pure? What is the standard of purity? Where is its chart and compass? The answers are all found in the Word of God.

It is in God's Word where I will discover that I have a need to be pure in the first place. It is there that I will learn of my sin which has made me unpure and of the pure and holy God who can not have my sin in His presence.

It is in God's Word where I will find the solution for my sin which is as scarlet. It is there that I will learn of Christ who has died for me as a propitiatory sacrifice, freeing me from my filthy burden, and granting me cleansing forgiveness through His own shed blood. It is there that I will find out how His blood alone can wash me whiter than snow.

It is in God's Word where I will learn what my life is to look like in response to all that Christ has done on my behalf. It is there that I am instructed in the purity that conforms me more and more to the image of Jesus.

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Thy word."

Matthew Henry writes regarding these words:
"By what means may the next generation be made better than this? By making the Word of God their rule. That will do more for young men than all the laws of princes and morals of philosophers."
Is it purity that you long for? It will only be found in Christ's classroom under the teaching of His own precious Word. Therefore, let us seek after Him with our whole heart and pray for His mercy and grace to keep us from wandering into the school of the fool.

Where are you currently enrolled? It might be time for a change of institutions.

In His glorious grace,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment