Saturday, April 10, 2010

Established to Revere -Psalm 119 (part 5)

"Teach me, O LORD, the way of Thy statutes,
and I shall observe it to the end.
Give me understanding,
that I may observe Thy law,
and keep it with all my heart.
Make me walk in the path of Thy commandments,
for I delight in it.
Incline my heart to Thy testimonies,
and not to dishonest gain.
Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity,
and revive me in Thy ways.
Establish Thy word to Thy servant,
as that which produces reverence for Thee."
(Psalm 119:33-38)

The theme throughout Psalm 119 is in regards to the Word of God. Here in the longest chapter of the Bible (176 verses) we are granted the privilege of watching David's meditations and earnest prayers regardingthe holy Scriptures. In verses 33-38 we find another prayer. Once again it is quite instructive. These points are heavily drawn from Matthew Henry's commentary this morning.

David begins by pleading with God to teach Him. "Teach me, O LORD, the way of Thy satutes, and I shall observe it to the end." What better teacher is there? There is none that teaches as He does. Job understood the excellency of this great Educator. In this midst of his affliction he states, "Behold, God is exalted in His power. Who is a teacher like Him?" May we, with David, cry out to the Giver of the law to be the Instructor of the law that we might be conformed to the law.

Secondly, David asks God to shine light upon his understanding. "Give me understanding, that I may observe Thy law, and keep it with all my heart." If we are to obey we must understand. I can't do that which makes no sense to me. How we need to beg of God to be a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. May He grant us understanding that we might keep and observe with a whole herat.

Thirdly, David "prays for God to bow his will and quicken the active powers of his soul that he might do his duty" (Henry). "Make me walk in the path of Thy commandments." David knows his proneness to wandering. Therefore he pleads with God to "make" him walk. I'm with you Dave! I need a King to subdue my stubborn will and am thankful for the Shepherd's crook which repeatedly has pulled me back on the proper path when I have strayed!

Fourthly, David pleads with God to not only make him do the right thing but to make him desirous of doing the right thing. "Incline my heart to Thy testimonies and not to dishonest gain." Let us not be only willing but wanting.

Fifthly, "David prays for restraining grace." "Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, and revive me in Thy ways." Henry writes:
"The honors, pleasures, and profits of the world are the vanities which draw multitudes away from the paths of religion and godliness. The eye, when fastened on these, infects the ear with the love of them and so is alienated from divine things. We ought to pray that God by His providence would keep vanity out of our sight and would keep us from being enamored by the sight of it."
Henry states elsewhere that "those who would have the love of God rooted in them must get the love of the world rooted out of them."

Lord, turn me from it or I will run straight to it!

All of these things are important prayer pictures. We need God to teach us, to grant us understanding, to bow our will to His own, to turn our hearts to His ways, and to keep our eyes from vanity. All these things we need and the result of all these things is not merely that we would be more righteous but that He would be more revered. "Establish Thy word to Thy servant, as that which produces reverence for Thee."

The chief end of all of this is that He would be glorified. Make me love your Word, Lord ,that I might love You!

In His glorious grace,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment