Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mother Sarah - Hebrews 11 part 5

"By faith even Sarah herself received ability to conceive,
even beyond the proper time of life,
since she considered Him faithful who had promised."
(vs 11)

I had to laugh as I paused to dwell on Sarah. I had to laugh becaue Sarah is the one who laughed at the promise of God. She didn't believe it. She thought it was the silliest thing she'd ever heard. "After I have become old, shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?" This is a really funny one - so she laughed!

My laugh this morning is one of great joy at the pardoning mercy of God to unbelieving sinners. Hebrews 11 doesn't record Sarah's laughing doubt it records her considering faith. "By faith even Sarah herself received ability to conceive, even beyond the proper time of life, since she considered Him faithful who had promised."

Sarah faultered in her faith - she found it funny. Yet God, in His sustaining mercy, dusted her silly doubt off and set her face firm as flint to believe and to receive the promise!! Her unbelief is pardoned and forgotten in these verses but her faith is recorded for all to see.

Have you laughed at the promises of God? I have and still do far too often. Oh, may He record our names as Sarah - may He scatter our sins as far as the east is from the west, may He remember them no more and may He count us among the faithful.

Now that I think of it, I'm not laughing one bit,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment