Monday, August 24, 2009

Open and Laid Bare - Hebrews 4 part 2

"And there is no creature hidden from His sight,
but all things are open and laid bare
to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do."
(vs 13)

My 4 year old daughter often sings a song recorded by my friend, Judy Rogers. "I'm hiding from Mommy and no one can see. I'm hiding and know one will know. But I just remembered that God's watching me. He knows everything that I do. I cannot see God, but He always sees me. Nothing can be hid from God."

There is much truth packed in those simple lyrics. God is omniscient. Judy's song reminds us of that as does Hebrews 4:13.

This verse falls on the heels of the admonitions to "fear" lest we fall short of eternal rest, to not "harden our hearts" if we hear His voice, and to "be diligent" lest we fall into disobedience. We are then reminded of the sword/scalpel that God has given us in His Word (vs 12). It is that precious and powerful Word of God that teaches us to rightly fear, melts our hard hearts and teaches us what obedience looks like and how we are to accomplish it.

Suddenly, lest we push those admonitions aside thinking "Yeah, whatever. What I'm into is no big deal. I have nothing to fear it's just one LITTLE sin," we find ourselves in a head on collision with omniscience. "And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do." BOOM!

Friends, we may hide from mommy but we can NEVER hide from our heavenly Daddy! Never! ALL things are open and laid bare. "If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me, and the light around me will be night,' even the darkness is not dark to Thee, and the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to Thee." (Ps 139:11-12).

Henry says: "None of the creatures can be concealed from Christ; and there are none of the motions and workings of our heads and hearts but what are open and manifest to Him. This omniscience of Christ should engage us to persevere in faith and obedience."

God knows EVERYTHING about you. He knew every thought you'd think, word you'd say, and action you'd accomplish even before the foundation of the earth. All of it was laid open and bare before Him. The amazing thing to me is that - even though He knew the wickedness of my heart, mind and actions - in spite of my sin He reached out to me with the love of Christ! AMAZING! It is beyond comprehension. He loved me - dark, dirty, and defiled as He clearly knew that I was (and left to myself, still am)!

Beloved, everything is open and laid bare before Him. He knows all of your dirty laundry - in greater detail than even you know it. His eyes are upon you - always - at all times - in all things. The final half of verse 13 tells us that this omniscient God is the God "with whom we have to do." In this life we may deceive ourselves into thinking that no one knows, no one sees, and no one will ever call us to account but there is One who knows, sees, and will judge. The important question is, when we stand before Him "with whom we have to do" will He judge us based on our deeds or on Christ's? Ultimately that is the question that will determine whether His omniscience is our comfort or our dread.

Thankful to be clothed in Christ,
Lori

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this verse, it has been of great comfort to me.

    ReplyDelete