Monday, August 10, 2009

Humble, Contrite, and Trembling at the Word - Isaiah 66

"Thus says the LORD,
'Heaven is My throne, and the earth is My footstool.
Where then is a house you could build for Me?
And where is a place that I may rest?
For My hand made all these things,
thus all these things came into being.'
declares the LORD.
'But to this one I will look,
to him who is humble and contrite of spirit,
and who trembles at My word."
(vs 1-2)

This last chapter of Isaiah begins with a great picture of the grandeur of God. Heaven is His throne. Earth is His footstool. How could we ever create a place to hold the Creator, Sustainer, and Filler of all?

His hands have made all things and through Him everything came into being. He is the first cause of all and His providence rules even over the second causes. He is the High King, the Great Potentate, the Omnipotent, Omnipresent, and Omnisicient LORD of Lords.

If anyone has cause for pride, it is God. Yet, He is not a haughty God but a God full of compassion and lovingkindness. Indeed His mercies never cease but are new every morning. He has loved us so much that He has humbled Himself to become one of us and to take our place at the cross of justice that it might become the cross of grace!

God who made all, God who rules all, God who owns all and who deserves absolute and complete allegiance is not a cruel dictator but a loving Father to His adopted children. He will look to him who is humble and contrite of spirit. And He will turn to him who trembles at His word.

As I meditate on verse two I am forced to confess that I am not humble and contrite enough nor do I tremble before this Living Word as I ought. I remain much in need of the grace and mercy of the Gracious and Merciful God and ask Him simply to break me of my pride and to make me a proper trembler.

Praying to fear Him as I should,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment