Friday, January 15, 2010

A Bad Case of Don't Wanna (John 5:40)

"And you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life."
(John 5:40)

People are full of excuses. To be perfectly honest, I'm full of excuses! You know, I spent quite a few years of my life making up excuses for not coming to Christ. I was a radical unbeliever for a period of several years. People told me about Jesus and challenged me to put my faith in Him. I regularly and often quite rudely turned them down. I said I didn't come to Him because He could not be. "God is illogical. Christ as the divine Savior is impossible. Me as a guilty sinner - that's irrelevant! I'm too smart to buy into that religious stuff!" Truth is I didn't come to Him because I didn't want Him, didn't like Him, couldn't stand Him! Truth is - that is what is at the heart of all of our unbelief - a bad case of don't want to!

John 5:40 drives that fact home : And you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life. While we may encounter tons and tons of excuses from our unbelieving friends as to why they cannot join us in our faith journey, the bottom line is this - they don't WANT to join us in our faith journey!

Christ costs! He costs us "us" and we love "us"way more than we love Him! The natural trinity that we all worship is the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life. Christ calls us to abandon this selfishly created triune deity and fall fully and freely upon Him as our only Lord and Savior. He calls us to die to self and live to Him and for the natural man that pill is just too hard to swallow.

Oh, let us pray more for the Spirit of God to move the hearts of our unbelieving friends to see sin for what it is and Christ for who He is. It's not so much a lack of evidence (there is much clear and reasonable evidence in Creation and in the Word). Instead of a lack of evidence, it is a lack of desire. The problem is not too much intellect, the problem is too much sin.

The natural man is unwilling - I once was. Praise Christ for the sovereign grace by which He changed my heart and made me want Him more than I wanted me!

Lord, recreate us, make us new, make us willing!

In His glorious grace,

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment