Friday, October 2, 2009

A Blessed Benediction - Hebrew 13:20-21

"Now the God of peace,
who brought up from the dead
the great Shepherd of the sheep
through the blood of the eternal covenant,
even Jesus our Lord,
equip you in every good thing to do His will,
working in us that which is pleasing in His sight,
through Jesus Christ,
to whom be the glory forever and ever.
Amen."
(vs 20-21)

This book that began with Christ - the final Word, and that has been filled with Christ - the Great High Priest, now ends with Christ - the Great Shepherd of the sheep.

Hebrews has been about Jesus. My husband sent me to this great book because of its Christocentric nature and he was right. I have seen Jesus as the Prophet, Priest and King. Who He is, what He has done, and the difference that should make in my life has been evident.

Now, in these closing words I see Him once again. Here is the God ordained Great Shepherd of me, this dumb and often straying sheep. Here is the Shepherd who gave Himself for me. Christ shed His blood that I might not have to shed mine and yet in His divine power He did not remain dead but rose victorious from the grave sealing my salvation through the blood of the eternal covenant!

It is in Him, through Him and by Him alone that I am equipped to do that which God has called me to. On my own I can do nothing. In Him I can do all things. It is through Christ that God works in us that which is pleasing in His sight.

How great is this Christ who has done it all. It is He who has made us. It is He who has saved us. It is He who keeps us from falling. It is He who enables us to obey. It is all of Him and none of us.

No wonder the apostle loudly proclaims "to whom be all the glory forever and ever. Amen."

May that Amen resound from our lips and lives by grace through faith in this glorious Christ! To Him be ALL the glory forever and ever. Amen!

In His glorious grace,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment