Monday, June 22, 2009

Our Advocate - Romans 8:33-34

“What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Just as it is written, ‘For Thy sake we are being put to death all day long; we were considered as sheep to be slaughtered.’ But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:31-39)

In verse 31 we see that we have an omnipotent God who is for us. Therefore, what or who can truly be against us? In verse 32 we see that there is a free flowing fountain of never ceasing grace available for the blood bought child of God. Who can cut off the stream? This morning in verse 33-34 we will see that we “have an answer ready to all accusations and a security against all condemnations.”

Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? Paul gives us answer enough – God is the one who justifies. Who is the one who condemns? Paul gives further proof that the answer is a resounding “no one!” He writes, Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who is also interceding for us.

Listen to Mr. Henry this day: “If God justifies, this answers all. We may challenge all our accusers to come and put in their charge. This overthrows them all; it is God, the righteous faithful God, that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? Though they cannot make good the charge, yet they will be ready to condemn; but we have a plea ready which cannot be overruled. It is Christ that died, &c. It is by Christ, and our union with Him, that we are thus secured.”

The accuser of the brethren comes. What is the answer to these false and damning charges? It is this – Christ died for me! Christ rose for me! Christ intercedes for me! Take it up with Him!! He will answer you! His own works will answer you! By His death He paid my debt – account cleared – paid in full! By His resurrection He proved that the surety is true and that it stands. Christ has crushed the serpent’s head. Henry says, “If He had died, and not risen again, we had been where we were.” Oh, but we are NOT where we were because Christ is not where He was laid!

He died, He rose again. And in His resurrected state He is sitting at the right hand of God the Father Almighty! What an encouragement to us in the midst of all the condemning fiery darts and wicked schemes that the enemy hurls our way. Christ Jesus, the One who paid the debt, the One who conquered death is at the right hand of the Judge of all the earth. We have a Friend, an Ally, an older Brother, an Advocate in the courtroom! “Our Friend Himself, is the Judge!” (Henry)

I’ve found a Friend, O such a Friend! He loved me ere I knew him;
He drew me with the cords of love, and thus He bound me to Him;
and round my heart still closely twine those ties which naught can server,
for I am His and He is mine, forever and forever.

I’ve found a Friend, O such a Friend! He bled, He died to save me;
and not alone the gift of life, but His own self He gave me!
Naught that I have mine own I’ll call, I’ll hold it for the Giver,
my heart, my strength, my life, my all are His, and His forever.

I’ve found a Friend, O such a Friend! All pow’r to Him is given,
to guard me on my onward course, and bring me safe to heaven:
eternal glory gleams afar, to nerve my faint endeavor:
so now to watch, to work, to war; and then to rest forever.

I’ve found a Friend, O such a Friend! So kind and true and tender,
so wise a Counselor and guide, so mighty a defender!
From Him who loves me now so well what pow’r my soul can sever?
Shall life or death, shall earth or hell? No! I am His forever.

(James G. Small, 1866)

Would not these three things be more than enough? Should not these three things set our mind at absolute ease? But, Oh my soul rejoice, it does not end there! It gets even better!! He died, He rose, He sits at God’s right hand as our Advocate in the courtroom, and He intercedes for us. “Hence, also, He is able to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.” (Hebrews 7:25)

Turning again to Henry, “He is there, not unconcerned about us, not forgetful of us, but making intercession for us. And is this not abundant matter for comfort? What room is left for doubting and disquietment?” There is no room left!

Oh Christ – I WAS guilty. You have died for me. You have paid the price fully. There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. You have taken my sin. You have given me Your righteousness. You have died, but hallelujah You have risen from the dead. The grave could not hold you. The enemy could not conquer you. The strife is over and the battle won! You sit at the right hand of God that I might not fear the Judge. You have made Him my friend, yea – You have made Him my Father! Your sacrifice is evident by Your wounds and as You sit at the bar the enemy has NOTHING to say to me, for Your works have said it all. Your blood has paid it all! What more is needed? Nothing, yet more is given. You pray for me! You are praying for me! Me – who is so weak in praying for myself! Help us all to stand against the fiery darts this day and may we plead Your blood and righteousness which alone are our beauty and our glorious dress.

I know that my Redeemer lives, and ever prays for me;
a token of His love He gives, a pledge of liberty.
I find Him lifting up my head; He brings salvation near;
His presence makes me free indeed and He will soon appear.
He wills that I should holy be; who can withstand His will?
The counsel of His grace in me He surely shall fulfill.
Jesus, I hang upon Your Word; I steadfastly believe
You will return and claim me, Lord, and to yourself receive.

(Charles Wesley, 1742)

No comments:

Post a Comment